This came to me as mislabeled seed - it was several years before I finally arrived at a plausible identification for my mystery plants. The only information I've been able to find on the web lists this as a perennial, but it has been a one-year plant for me - perhaps it is not hardy to zone 6. Even as an annual, I grow it every year for its simple charm - upright growth with linear dark-green serrated leaves, and lots of orangish-yellow flowers. Won't bowl you over, but worth growing.
||I give several weeks cold treatment, then germinate at room temperature
Flowers first year from seed sown indoors early.
detailed seed-starting info below
|Seed ripens||late August||
This plant used to grow in our garden, but it slipped away...
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Sida elliottii
- Seed from '01 trade. Baggy 35F (6w)-70F (11%G,3w)-70F with light (11%G)
- Seed from '02 garden. Baggy 35F (9w)-70F (55%G,11-21d)
- Seed from '03 garden. Baggy 35F (8w)-70F (51%G,3-26d)
- Seed from '04 garden. Baggy 35F (32d) - 70F (65%G, 10-48d)
- Seed from '05 garden. Baggy 35F (4w) - 70F (no G, 11d) - dehusked and nicked inner seed - 45%G, 3-9d
- Seed from '05 garden. A: baggy 70F - not scarified (20%G, 7d)
B: Baggy 35F (27d) - 70F (3w; 10%G, 4d) - dehusked, sandpapered inner seed - 70F (70%G, 3-16d)
- Seed from '07 garden. Dehusked, sandpapered. Baggy 65F (62%G, 4-6d)
- Seed from '08 garden. Dehusked, sandpapered. Baggy 70F (50%G, 4-9d)
- Seed from '08 garden. Dehusked, sandpapered. Baggy 70F (67%G, 8-18d). Low survival rate of sprouted seeds
For years I believed these needed cold treatment. Turns out scarification is all that's needed.
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please
March 26, 2012