Common name(s): river birch
Hardiness ratings: USDA zone 3~4 - 8~9
Links for Betula nigra
- All Things Plants - Community-assembled plant profile (4 varieties in database) (19 photos)
- BBC Gardening - Plant profile with horticultural details and garden uses. (1 photo). Also a page for 'Heritage'.
- Carolina Nature - Illustrated woody plant profile, with notes on range and identification. (9 photos)
- Dave's Garden PlantFiles - Profile page with horticultural basics, and member-contributed photos and comments. (zone 4-9) (11 photos)
- Floridata - Illustrated informative profile page with notes on culture, usage, and noteworthy features. (zone 4-9) (3 photos)
- Illinois Wildflowers - Informative illustrated page with description and cultivation details, also covering range and faunal associations. (3 photos)
- Kansas Wildflowers & Grasses - Plant portrait with botanical details and description (11 photos)
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - Plant description and characteristics with notes on distribution, culture, and propagation. (36 photos)
- Missouri Botanical Garden - Plantfinder page for one of the plants growing at the garden, with usually one or more photos, horticultural information, and noteworthy characteristics. (zone 4-9) (8 photos). Also pages for 'BNMTF' DURA-HEAT, 'Cully' HERITAGE, 'Dickinson' NORTHERN TRIBUTE, and 'Little King' FOX VALLEY.
- Missouri Plants - Description and photographs of botanical features, with notes about habitat and native status. (5 photos)
- North Carolina State University factsheet - Plant profile with horticultural details and comments (zone 3b-9a) (15 photos). Also pages for 'Shiloh Splash' and 'Summer Cascade' PP15.
- Rob's Plants - Plant profile with basic horticultural information and often personal observations. (zone 4-9) (7 photos)
- Virginia Tech Dendrology - Factsheet with botanical characteristics and photos of various features. (6 photos)