|I like this form of 'Opopeo' seedling best. Still a young plant |
|Eye-popping 'Hopi Red Dye' |
'Opopeo' has upright purple spikes; our seedlings have slightly different forms, some more uniformly colored than others. 'Hopi Red Dye' (A. cruentus x powellii) has burgundy foliage with scarlet plumes. A new favorite this past year was 'Oeschberg', which sports the most brilliant burgundy plumes, arranged almost spirally when young; it also held its foliage and flower color longer than other similarly colored varieties.
|'Oeschberg' contrasting with Melampodium 'Million Gold' |
|A rather different look provided by variety 'Splendens Perfecta' |
We left this plant behind in our Pennsylvania garden (and wish it well); we don't grow it in Houston.
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Amaranthus hybrids
Visitors to this page have left the following comments
|Linda||Sep 30, 2009||Can you tell me if the hopi red dye plant is annual or perennial? Thanks. Linda|
|Fanny||Oct 03, 2011||Are these deer resistant?|
I doubt it.
|Peggy||Oct 13, 2012||Great plant to grow. Very differant. People will wonder what it is|
- Seed for 'Hopi Red Dye' from '02/'03 HPS/MAG exchange. 6pak with bottom heat (no G)
- Same seed as above. Baggy 70F with light, then to 75F. No G.
- Seed for 'Hopi Red Dye' from '04 trade. Baggy 75F (100%G, 1-3d)
- Seed for 'Opopeo' from '04 trade. Baggy 75F (100%G, 1-2d)
- Seed for 'Oeschberg' from '06 trade. Baggy 75F (42%G, 3-8d)
- Seed for 'Oeschberg' from '07 garden. Baggy 75F (56%G, 10-16d)
- Seed for 'Splendens Perfecta' from Pine Tree 2013 order. Baggy 70F (11d) - 75F (86%G, 3-5d)
- Seed for 'Splendens Perfecta' from Pine Tree 2013 order. Baggy 75F (47%G, 3-8d)
First seed lot apparently not viable, given how easy the subsequent attempts were.
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please
July 07, 2014