|I like this form of 'Opopeo' seedling best. Still a young plant |
|Eye-popping 'Hopi Red Dye' |
'Opopeo' has upright purple spikes; our seedlings have slightly different forms, some more uniformly colored than others. 'Hopi Red Dye' (A. cruentus x powellii) has burgundy foliage with scarlet plumes. A new favorite this past year was 'Oeschberg', which sports the most brilliant burgundy plumes, arranged almost spirally when young; it also held its foliage and flower color longer than other similarly colored varieties.
|'Oeschberg' contrasting with Melampodium 'Million Gold' |
|A rather different look provided by variety 'Splendens Perfecta' |
In our garden, this plant grows in the following areas: driveway bed, curve garden (back lobe), curve garden (back lobe)
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Amaranthus hybrids
Visitors to this page have left the following comments
|Linda||Sep 30, 2009||Can you tell me if the hopi red dye plant is annual or perennial? Thanks. Linda|
|Fanny||Oct 03, 2011||Are these deer resistant?|
I doubt it.
|Peggy||Oct 13, 2012||Great plant to grow. Very differant. People will wonder what it is|
- Seed for 'Hopi Red Dye' from '02/'03 HPS/MAG exchange. 6pak with bottom heat (no G)
- Same seed as above. Baggy 70F with light, then to 75F. No G.
- Seed for 'Hopi Red Dye' from '04 trade. Baggy 75F (100%G, 1-3d)
- Seed for 'Opopeo' from '04 trade. Baggy 75F (100%G, 1-2d)
- Seed for 'Oeschberg' from '06 trade. Baggy 75F (42%G, 3-8d)
- Seed for 'Oeschberg' from '07 garden. Baggy 75F (56%G, 10-16d)
- Seed for 'Splendens Perfecta' from Pine Tree 2013 order. Baggy 70F (11d) - 75F (86%G, 3-5d)
- Seed for 'Splendens Perfecta' from Pine Tree 2013 order. Baggy 75F (47%G, 3-8d)
First seed lot apparently not viable, given how easy the subsequent attempts were.
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please
July 07, 2014