Arabis blepharophylla 'Spring Charm'
Fragrant flowers up to 1" across in early spring, blooming with the earliest tulips. Each flowerhead is made up of a dark purple center, with four-petaled individual flowers opening up in pale violet along the perimeter. Prune back after flowering to encourage compactness and a second bloom (unless of course you want to collect seed).
||rose rock cress
||easy: germinates at room temperature. slow-growing.
detailed seed-starting info below
|In bloom in the third week of March in its second year |
|A month after starting its bloom, the seedpods are busily forming, making for a bit of a messy look |
|'Red Sensation' |
In our garden, this plant grows in the following area: the lane
One or more images of this plant are included in my stock photo catalog
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Arabis blepharophylla 'Spring Charm'
Visitors to this page have left the following comments
|Sharon||Jul 05, 2006||I am just wondering, my flower went to seed, do I break off the pods to grow new flowers or will they grow on there own?|
They have not self-seeded for me - so for a new supply of plants, I'd harvest seeds when they are ripe and start them on purpose - inside in spring works well for me.
- Seed from HPS '01/'02 exchange. Baggy 70F (95%G, 5-9d)
- Seed from garden '03 germinated rapidly at room temperature, sprouting radicles in 4 days, cotyledons by 6 days.
- Same seed as above. Baggy 70F (100%G, 7d)
- Seed from '03 garden. Baggy 70F (90%G, 7-10d)
- Same seed as above. Baggy 70F (80%G, 8-11d)
- Same seed as above. Baggy 70F (63%G, 12-30d)
- Seed from NARGS '10/'11 exchange. Baggy 70F (80%G, 4-10d)
- Seed for 'Rose Delight' from NARGS '11/'12 exchange. Baggy 70F (68%G, 5-10d)
- Seed for 'Spring Charm from NARGS '11/'12 exchange. Baggy 70F (67%G, 7-12d)
Long-viable seed, no light required for germination.
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please
May 31, 2014