We grew this from seed several years ago, and got a nice crop of seedlings, all of which lived through their first winter. Summers weren't as kind to them, though, and one by one the plants, set in various garden areas, croaked. The last one held out until its third year, but mysteriously disappeared in late summer. Since I had high hopes for this plant, I traded for new seed, and now have six seedlings going in the orchard. I hope these are tougher!
||prefers evenly moist, fertile soils with reasonable drainage
||provide a period of warm stratification (6-8 weeks), a period of cold stratification (6-8 weeks), then germinate at room temperature
detailed seed-starting info below
This plant used to grow in our garden, but it slipped away...
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Dictamnus albus
Visitors to this page have left the following comments
|Bobbie Cooper||Jan 19, 2010||Rob, my third year plant was a no show but last year, (2009), the fourth year, it grew and bloomed. So, hope you didn't dig it up. |
- Seed from '00 trade. 70F (7w) - 35F (6w) - 70F (germination starting 3d). Additional cold period and nicking contributed to germination. Overall >50%G
- Seed from '03 trade. 70F (7w) - 35F (6w) - 70F (40%G, 3d). Additional 35F (4w) - 70F (2w) did not result in further germination
- "Old" seed from '04 trade. Baggy 70F (6w) - 35F (6w) - 70F (8w; 21%G, 3d)
- Seed from '06 trade. Baggy 70F (8w) - 35F (8w; 25%G, 8th wk) - 70F (25%G, 2d)
- Seed from '07 trade. Baggy 70F (9w) - 35F (10w) - 70F (84%G, 2-14d)
Seed may develop mold during conditioning stages, but this does not appear to be fatal - I rinse the seeds at the end of each stage to remove most of it.
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please