||to 2 ft
||full sun-part shade
||Germinate at cold temperature.
detailed seed-starting info below
As penstemons go, this one gets close to a clear blue. I've not found it to be reliably hardy in our garden (some sources list it as zone 7), but have some tougher plants that seem to hang on better. Maybe more a drainage than cold-hardiness issue.
According to my resources, this should be drought tolerant and deer resistant.
We left this plant behind in our Pennsylvania garden (and wish it well); we don't grow it in Houston.
Read about all the penstemon species in our garden
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Penstemon heterophyllus
- Seed from '01 trade. Baggy 35F (6w; 72%G 4-6w)
- Same seed as above. Baggy 35F (9w; 80%G, 5-9w)
- Seed from '04 garden. Baggy 35F (9w; 16%G, 8w) - 70F (no further G)
- Seed from '08 trade. Baggy 35F (9w) - 70F (53%G, 3-8d)
- Seed from '08 trade. Baggy 35F (9w) - 70F (83%G, 3-10d). A minority of the sprouted seeds grew into healthy seedlings.
- Seed from '14 trade. Baggy 35F (8w) - 70F (78%G, 4-10d)
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please
May 16, 2015