|Dramatic seed spikes, too |
I'd heard fellow gardeners rave about this plant, with whorled leaves and long flower spikes, but it took several attempts, both purchasing at nurseries and starting from seed, to establish it in our garden. Finally, a few of our seed-grown plants took hold, and have been quite steadfast ever since. They produce their graceful flowers in early summer. I like how the spikes curve around in interesting directions.
||white or pale blue (summer)
||ordinary garden soil (not too dry)
||Seed probably loses viability within a few years; fresh seed germinates easily at room temperature.
detailed seed-starting info below
|Seed ripens||late September|
|Attractively whorled dark-green leaves |
We left this plant behind in our Pennsylvania garden (and wish it well); we don't grow it in Houston.
Seed for this plant is included on my seed trade list
About my plant portraits
PlantLinks to other web pages about Veronicastrum virginicum
- Seed for 'Fascination' from '02 trade. Baggy 70F with light (19d) - 35F (6w) - 70F (2w). No germination.
- Seed from Seeds of Change '03 packet, via '04 trade. Baggy 70F (27d; 22%G, 8-17d) - 35F (6w) - 70 (7d)
- Seed from '07 garden. Baggy 65F with light (72%G, 8-13d)
- Seed from '09 garden. Baggy 70F with light (64%G, 7-12d)
- Seed from '10 garden. Baggy 70F with light (reasonable G, 7-12d)
- Seed from '10 garden. Baggy 70F with light (~90%G, 6-15d)
- Seed from '10 garden. Baggy 70F with light (good G, 8-12d)
- Seed from '10 garden. Baggy 70F with light (no G, 30d)
- Seed from '14 garden. Baggy 70F with light (~56%G, 8-10d)
I welcome comments about my web pages; feel free to use the form below to
leave feedback about this particular page. For the benefit of other visitors
to these pages, I will list any relevant comments you leave, and if
appropriate, I will update my page to correct mis-information. Faced with an
ever-increasing onslaught of spam, I'm forced to discard any comments including
html markups. Please submit your comment as plain text. If you have a
comment about the website as a whole, please leave it in my
guestbook. If you
have a question that needs a personal response, please